Conceived in 1954 by Charles and Ray Eames, the Compact Sofa was inspired by a built-in that the designers Charles and Ray Eames created for their home in Pacific Palisades, California. The Eames Sofa Compact sits on an airy pedestal of powder-coated steel legs. With plush foam cushions supported by resilient webbing, it offers firm but flexible support from shoulders to knees.
For the Herman Miller x HAY collaboration, this famous couch is offered in a special reissue of Alexander Girard’s colorfully striped Jacob’s Coat textile, a design from 1959. Herman Miller, HAY, Charles and Ray Eames and Alexander Girard are all represented in MoMA’s collection.
Features of the Herman Miller x HAY Eames Compact Sofa include:
- Designed by HAY Charles and Ray Eames.
- Upholstered in a special reissue of Alexander Girard’s famous textile Jacobs’ Coat.
- The colors of Jacob's Coat were in inspiration for HAY when choosing the colors for the Herman Miller x HAY collection.
- The textile is made using a rare, intensive vertical weaving technique that creates incredibly vibrant, concise colored stripes.
- Slim, upright modern sofa fits easily in almost any space.
- Firm yet plush foam cushions.
- This is an authentic Herman Miller Eames Compact Sofa, verified by an authenticity certificate included in every order.
- Manufactured in the USA by Herman Miller.
- Measures 35h x 72.5w x 30"d.
DesignerCharles and Ray Eames
Size35h x 72.5w x 30"d
MaterialSteel, Polyurethane Foam, 92% Wool, 8% Nylon
- Shipping Method: In Home Delivery
- This item cannot be shipped outside of the contiguous U.S.
- This item is final sale and non-returnable.
$7.95 Flat standard shipping fee available. Learn More.
At MoMA Design Store, all of the designs we sell are curator-approved and authentic. We ensure the integrity of our products through research and by working closely with the designers. Our products embody the spirit of good design objects in MoMA's collection. Some of them are actual designs represented in the Museum's collection.